Please contact Maria Balducci, Director of Music & Organist, if you are interested in becoming involved with the St. Joseph’s music program. (email@example.com)
“Indeed, through this form [sacred music], prayer is expressed in a more attractive way, the mystery of the Liturgy, with its hierarchical and community nature, is more openly shown, the unity of hearts is more profoundly achieved by the union of voices, minds are more easily raised to heavenly things by the beauty of the sacred rites, and the whole celebration more clearly prefigures that heavenly Liturgy which is enacted in the holy city of Jerusalem.” (Musicam Sacram, 1967)
Concert Series: 2022-2023
- Wednesday, November 2 at 7pm: Requiem Mass by Claudio Casciolini. The St. Joseph’s Choir offers the sung requiem Mass of Italian Renaissance composer Casciolini, in memorium of the parishioners, family members, and friends of St. Joseph’s who died in the past year.
- Sunday, December 11 at 4pm: Advent Lessons & Carols. Join us for readings and music to reflect on the Advent season.
- Sunday, May 7 at 4pm: Marian Concert. Our second annual concert offered by the St. Joseph’s Choir, with motets and hymns in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mother.
PAST Concert Series: 2021-2022
- Sunday, October 24 at 3pm: Maria Balducci, organist. Works of Buxtehude, Vaughan Williams, Franck, and Demessieux.
- Sunday, December 12 at 4pm: Advent Lessons & Carols. Join us for readings and music to reflect on the Advent season.
- Sunday, May 1 at 4pm: Marian Concert. The St. Joseph’s Choir presents motets and hymns in honor of Mary.
- Friday, May 27 at 7:30pm AT ST. PETER’S ON CAPITOL HILL: “King David” by Arthur Honegger. The St. Joseph’s Choir joins the St. Peter’s Choir to present the charming concert work of the life of David- his anointing by Samuel, his slaying of Goliath, and his glorious years as the archetypical king of the chosen people. For choir, instruments, soloists, and narrator.
The St. Joseph’s Choir
The St. Joseph’s Choir sings for the Sunday 10:30am Masses. Rehearsals are Thursdays from 7:30pm-9pm. The music encompasses the entirety of the Church’s rich history of sacred music, from centuries-old a cappella Gregorian chant to polyphony to new works by living composers. We are looking to grow our choir, as well as add a women’s and/or men’s schola. Consider joining if you have a background in music, enjoy singing, and are looking to find a wonderful community within the parish. (Contact: Maria Balducci, Director of Music: firstname.lastname@example.org)
The St. Joseph’s Chorus Angelorum (Children’s Choir)
Beginning in fall 2022, St. Joseph’s is adding a children’s choir to our sacred music program. The Chorus Angelorum- choir of angels– will have a two-fold mission: first, to teach the children proper singing technique, chants, hymns, motets, and the Mass ordinary and propers; second, to be exposed to Gregorian chant notation and Latin pronunciation and translation. The Chorus Angelorum is a part of Pueri Cantores, the international student choral organization of the Catholic Church, and will participate in their regional festival Mass at St. Matthew’s Cathedral in the spring. Rehearsals are every other Thursday from 6:30pm-7:30pm. (Contact: Maria Balducci, Director of Music: email@example.com)
The St. Joseph’s Pipe Organ
Hook & Hastings (Opus 1487, 1891)
SEPTEMBER 2022 UPDATE: St. Joseph’s is in the process of receiving bids for a restoration of our historic Hook & Hastings pipe organ. As one of the few remaining original and unaltered Hook & Hastings organs in the world, St. Joseph’s is committed to its preservation and restoration, so that it will continue to serve the parish and its liturgies for many generations to come.
The pipe organ at St. Joseph’s is a treasured piece of its history. The 3-manual, 29 rank tracker action organ was built by Hook and Hastings in 1891, during the construction of the present church. It is the oldest unaltered tracker action organ in Washington, D.C.
Specifications (Manuals, 58 notes; Pedal, 27 notes)
- 16 Open Diapason
- 8 Open Diapason
- 8 Doppel Flute
- 4 Octave
- 3 Twelfth
- 2 Fifteeth
- 1 1/3 Mixture III (174 pipes)
- 8 Trumpet
- SWELL (enclosed)
- 16 Bourdon Bass
- 16 Bourdon Treble
- 8 Open Diapason
- 8 Stopped Diapason
- 8 Viola
- 4 Flauto Traverso
- 4 Violino
- 1 1/3 Dolce Cornet III (174 pipes)
- 8 Oboe & Bassoon
- CHOIR (unenclosed)
- 8 Geigen Principal
- 8 Melodia
- 8 Dulciana
- 4 Flute d’Amour
- 2 Piccolo
- 8 Clarinet
- 16 Open Diapason
- 16 Bourdon
- 8 Violincello